Josh is a freelance Videographer, Musician, Designer & Production Engineer. Originally from Akron, Ohio, Josh moved to Dallas in the late Fall of 2019 and fell in love with the Great State of Texas. His largest passions include anything that gets him outdoors and experiencing and learning new things. When not busy with work or working on his next music album, Josh loves traveling, riding his motorcycle, extreme off-roading, snowboarding, camping, hiking, playing guitar, deep diving into the latest political turmoil, and his latest project - rebuilding a 1983 Jeep CJ7 from the ground up. Josh started his profession in the videography & production business…
Expert level Videographer and Video Production Engineer with almost two decades of experience in video creation and multimedia project management. Specializing in camera operations, video shoots, and video editing. A strong history of planning shoots, coordinating with videography teams and recording live and studio events.
· 4K Videography
· Audio Production
· Aerial Cinematography
· Video Production & Management
· Multimedia Production & Management
· Lighting & Chromakey
· Pre & Post-Production
· Script Writing
· Location Scouting & Prop Staging
· Motion Graphics
· Graphic Design – Print & Digital
· Web Design
· Team & Project Management / Oversight
· Project Staffing & Hiring
· Talent Management
Adobe Creative Suite – Photoshop, Illustrator, Apple Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X and Motion, Sony NEX FS-700 4K with Shogun Inferno external capture, Sony Alpha 7R DSLR w/ Tamron Lenses, Lowel Mobile Light Kits, Sennheiser/Shure Microphones, Universal Audio DAW, YUNEEC Typhoon Aerial Cinema Drone, Portable Chromakey Kit
Creative Director, Videographer & Video Production Engineer
Six 5 Creative
Akron, OH / Dallas, TX
2006 – Present
· Create audio, visual, music, optical, and special effects to align plot, score, sound, and graphics into a complete product.
· Set up systems and controls to operate computer editing, electronic titling processes, video switching equipment, and digital video effect software to produce the final product.
· Deliver post-production assets by composing each shot and applying technical aspects of light, lenses, and filters to achieve the required effects.
· Conceptualization, storyboarding, preparing projects for editing, post-production, acquiring and documenting music rights, adding graphics and color-grading to videos for broadcast, webcast and video streaming animations.
· Create high-end content for corporate promotional videos – conceptualizing, shooting, writing, reporting, interviewing, editing, providing creative input and producing finished media.
· Planning & creation of storyboards, shooting schedules, and editing of approved video footage.
· Create, stage and/or produce professional quality visuals, using video, graphics, and photography.
· Worked with clients on multi-camera shoot types including corporate, broadcast, and promotional videos in studio, live and green screen scenarios.
· Plan and manage shot sequences while ensuring seamless and smooth cuts.
· Plan lighting and mic placement to deliver high-quality sound and video assets.
· High touch approach with clients on all levels, developing trust through ongoing collaborative work with the production team, project stakeholders and client executives.
Designer / Developer, Multimedia, Videography & Graphic Design
The Carson Group
2002 – 2006
· Graphic design for print advertising for well-known national brands.
· Identification of strategic business opportunities using content creation to benefit the client, presenting to stakeholders and executives.
· Managed, led and oversaw small projects, providing project vision, and guidance for design, architecture, strategy and digital transformation.
· Consistently achieved a high level of client satisfaction by providing customers with creative, compelling, and impactful solutions that addressed their business priorities.
· Worked with the team to create high-quality, unique, compelling content to represent the brand and product offerings through video and still photography.
· Developed promotional content in advance of special events, shooting signature events involving evenings, weekends and holidays.
· Created and edited content for various distribution mediums for television and web media.
· Supported and participated in the development of strategic project planning to support client objectives.
· Participated in the brainstorming and creation of concepts for print, TV and web projects.
· Translated abstract concepts into functional graphic and video outcomes.
· Worked closely with a fully collaborative team of designers and management throughout project design and development activities.
· Assisted in project planning by recommending design approaches, plus time and cost estimates.
· Front end web development, including graphics, CSS, Flash and HTML.
Content Creator, Multimedia Development & Graphic Design
Bowling Green, OH
2000 – 2002
· Maintained video equipment assets, both hardware and software.
· Collaborated with the station’s content coordinator and graphics department manager
to create on-screen graphics for live news broadcasts.
· Produced a Flash-based multimedia presentation to showcase the history of WBGU-TV.
· Voice Over
· Script Writing
· Joshua Surgeon – Thirsty (2018) Writer, Vocalist, Guitarist & Producer
· Joshua Surgeon – Let the Bold Die Old (2015) Writer, Vocalist, Guitarist & Producer
· Drenalin – Ground Zero (2009) Co-Writer, Vocalist & Producer
· Drenalin – Self-Titled (2007) Co-Writer, Vocalist & Producer
Bowling Green State University
Bachelor of Arts
· Visual Communications Technology